On the Property Fast Stream be part of building a modern, sustainable public estate that benefits the whole of the UK
Government Property Professionals work on the UK’s largest and most varied estate. Across government we occupy around 2% of the land area of the UK, worth half a trillion pounds and it costs over £20 billion each year to run the estate alone.
The numbers are huge...and so are the opportunities. As a Property Fast Streamer, you will be at the heart of making our properties more sustainable, better located for all the UK population and adaptable to reflect the way people want to work in the future.
As you can see, property is not just about bricks and mortar; it’s about people too. And we want to invest in you, to give you the broad property knowledge and the essential leadership skills to be a future Property Leader in Government.
- you need to be eligible to work in the UK
- you need, or expect to have, a 2:2 or higher in any degree subject including degree apprenticeships
- existing civil servants can apply without a degree
What will you experience?
Property fast streamers will work across a broad range of central government departments and agencies throughout the UK. You will be involved with developing strategy, planning and delivering projects that will build a better, more sustainable estate for delivering public services. Not only that, but you’ll gain vast property experience working with teams of experts in a variety of different specialisms.
Here is some of the exciting work you could get involved with during the 4-year programme:
- Experiencing how government value, acquire, build, sell and let buildings
- Understanding the importance of workplace in delivering a modern Civil Service
- Procuring or Managing contracts and services to ensure buildings are safe and fit for purpose
- Delivering projects ranging from building new prisons, refurbishing historic buildings to improving the delivery of essential services
- Being part of a sustainability drive that will see the UK carbon zero by 2050
All of this plus we’ll support you on your journey to accreditation with either the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management (IWFM). Promotion and successful completion of the scheme will see you earn up to £55k.
Your progression through the programme
Fast streamers will undertake four 1-year postings, with each posting having a specific property focus. Each posting's focus will depend on the skills you need to develop and the competency requirements of the professional body you will pursue membership with. Below is just one example of how this could look.
Year 1 - Property lifecycle focus - You’ll work in the Department for Transport actively managing their property portfolio including the sale of surplus buildings and land
Year 2 - Facilities or Workplace Management Focus - You’ll work in the Government Property Agency supporting their clients in workplace transformation
Year 3 - Future Skills Focus - You’ll work in the Ministry of Justice focussing on property projects involving sustainability, data or the use of new technology
Year 4 - Leadership Focus - You’ll work in the Ministry of Defence on projects that develop your strategic thinking, negotiation, stakeholder management and commercial awareness.
Supporting your learning
Training will be tailored to your circumstances and existing qualifications. For example;
- Property degree holders will be supported in gaining membership of IWFM or RICS via the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC)
- Non-property degree holders will have the opportunity to obtain a property qualification, via a post-graduate surveying or Workplace qualification, and start their journey towards professional accreditation. Which qualification/accreditation route you take will depend on departmental need/business capacity.
- Civil Servants without a degree will have the opportunity to undertake a Workplace qualification and work towards associate membership of IWFM
In addition, throughout the four years we will support your development and network-building through leadership training, mentorship and community events
Up to £55k
- Starting Salary - £28,840
- Capability assessed salary increases throughout the scheme
- Towards the end of Year 4, you will complete your End of Scheme Assessment. If successful, you will be promoted off the scheme, either into a role you have identified or into a priority permanent role allocated by the scheme. In your role on graduation from the scheme, you could earn between £45k and £55k.
What benefits will you enjoy?
You’ll have a unique chance to work on issues that really matter, whilst at the same time gaining a qualification and professional accreditation. It’s the best foundation for promotion and long-term progression.
Other benefits include the Civil Service pension scheme, flexible working, season ticket loans, sports and social activities, child care vouchers and more.
The online assessments consist of Work Style Questionnaires, a multimedia Situational Judgement Questionnaire, Numerical Test and Work Based Scenarios.
If you pass the online assessments, you’ll be invited to undertake a half day assessment centre. This will be conducted virtually on line. The Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC) reflects some of the key elements of a Fast Stream role and will consist a leadership scenario, a team scenario and a written scenario. Information will be presented via an app that you will be able to access remotely.
If you are successful at the assessment centre, you’ll be invited to take part in a final selection process.
The specialist assessments will assess your broad capabilities and motivation to be part of the profession you’ve chosen. You’ll be sent detailed guidance before the assessment to explain what is involved.