Summer Internship Programme
Find out about the Fast Stream and the Civil Service by joining the internship
6 to 8 weeks
Salary per week (Paid monthly)
The Summer Internship Programme (SIP) gives people the opportunity to see what a career in the Civil Service is like. We welcome people from all backgrounds. It puts talented undergraduates on a work placement in a government department. As a successful applicant, you'll get an insight into the broad range of opportunities available across the Civil Service.
The SIP is a great way to prepare for a place on one of our Fast Stream graduate schemes, which could lead to many different career paths at the heart of the UK Government. Two months on the SIP could change your life!
You'll also be invited to undertake the Fast Pass, which is a quicker route to Fast Stream selection. The Fast Pass means if you receive a positive appraisal during the 2024 SIP internship, and then apply for Fast Stream that year, you'll be fast-tracked past the initial online selection stages. You'll also have the option to defer your Fast Pass to the following year. As part of the programme you will receive selection skills support. This gives you an excellent chance to succeed on the Fast Stream.
- You're in your final 2 years at university with a 2:2 or higher in any degree subject (expected or awarded), though ideally with a particular focus on STEM degrees.
- Right to work in the UK and meet eligibility requirements under Civil Service Nationality Rules.
What will you experience?
On the internship you'll do challenging project-related work. You could be:
- Conducting research.
- Providing project support.
- Assisting with the creation of policy documents.
- Shadowing senior civil servants.
- Attending meetings with senior advisors on major issues.
The support you get includes:
- An allocated Fast Stream buddy and a scheme manager to support and oversee you.
- An excellent range of central events for you to attend, such as skills sessions.
- A corporate welcome reception in early July and a closing reception in September involving inspirational speakers.
- Access to 'Fast Pass' which potentially allows you to be fast-tracked to the final stages of the Fast Stream selection process. A minimum of 6 weeks is required in your placement in order to be considered for a 'Fast Pass'.
Your progression through the programme
- FAST PASS
Summary - Your internship starts with a welcome reception. You'll get the opportunity to hear from inspirational speakers and find out how to make the most of your placement.
You'll then spend the next couple of months working within a departmental team immersed in work. This is a great opportunity to get involved in various activities and learn about the Civil Service and Fast Stream.
Fast Pass - 'Fast Pass' appraisal of your performance throughout the scheme aims to streamline your progression through the Fast Stream selection process. Your Fast Streamer mentor will be there to offer you support and guidance.
Events – Your two months in the department will be spread with a range of exciting centrally run events and the programme is then rounded off with a closing event.
You can only apply for SIP in your final 2 years at university (on your first undergraduate degree).
You should have a 2.2 degree (expected or awarded).
You need the right to work in the UK and meet eligibility requirements under Civil Service Nationality Rules.
The programmes are open to UK nationals and Commonwealth and EEA citizens who have the right to work in the UK and meet Civil Service Nationality rules. All successful applicants will be required to pass security checks and your placement will be dependent on this.
- A real interest in pursuing a career in the Civil Service.
- Show you can work in a team.
- Be innovative and creative.
- Be able to work with people at varying levels of ability and responsibility.
- Be motivated to help make improvements on major policy issues or on how public services are provided.
- Demonstrate the key behaviour we expect from civil servants.
Please note, in applying for the SIP you may not apply for Fast Stream in the same year.
You can only participate in the SIP once.
You take the same initial online tests as all other applicants to the Fast Stream. If you pass, you then complete an online application form and will be invited to a telephone interview during January and February 2024
You need to be available for the internship in the Summer holiday period from July to August 2024
Internships for other undergraduates
We are currently reviewing our internship offering for undergraduates in earlier years of study. Any new Fast Stream internships will be listed on this page as soon as they become available.