On the Generalist scheme, you’ll work on issues of national importance, driving forward policies and delivering operations that change society for the better.
The Generalist Fast Stream offers the opportunity to undertake a wide variety of roles to establish your strengths and leadership potential. You will undertake placements in different departments, from the Cabinet Office to the Department for Work and Pensions, among others across the country. You will also be exposed to roles in different government professions including Corporate Services, Operational Delivery and Policy.
- Eligible to work in the UK
- You need, or expect to have a 2:2 or higher in any degree subject, including degree apprenticeships
- Existing civil servants can apply without a degree
What will you experience?
Generalist Fast Streamers learn across broad interest areas and also have the opportunity to develop a deep knowledge of these areas.
Each role you take will require different skills to succeed, offering you the opportunity for continual learning with a real emphasis on leadership development. Promotion and successful completion of the scheme will see you earn around £45k to £55k.
Year 1 – A comprehensive induction and 12-month posting.
Develop new skills and understanding of government in an area of work that interests you. Test your learning and identify your development needs through a performance assessment, at the end of each of your placements.
Year 2 – 12-month posting in your interest area with a different department.
Build your knowledge, core skill areas and your leadership potential. Possible secondment to a different area of the public sector or to a charity to support your development.
Year 3 – Final 12-month posting to deepen your knowledge and leadership experience.
Preparations for your final end-of-scheme assessment leading to successful completion of the programme.
Supporting your learning
- Day-to-day contact with a manager based in your department to ensure you’re challenged in your role
- Developmental support to monitor your performance.
- Posting-specific learning
- Action learning sets.
Up to £55k
- Starting Salary - £28,840
- Capability assessed salary increases throughout the scheme
- Towards the end of Year 3, you will complete your End of Scheme Assessment. If successful, you will be promoted off the scheme, either into a role you have identified or into a priority permanent role allocated by the scheme. In your role on graduation from the scheme, you could earn between £45k and £55k.
What benefits will you enjoy?
You’ll have a unique chance to work on issues that really matter, and to gain experience internally and externally.
Other benefits include the Civil Service pension scheme, professional qualifications, flexible working, season ticket loans, sports and social activities, childcare assistance, diversity support/networks/forums and more.
The online assessments consist of Work Style Questionnaires, a multimedia Situational Judgement Questionnaire, Numerical Test and Work Based Scenarios.
If you pass the online assessments, you’ll be invited to undertake a half day assessment centre. This will be conducted virtually on line. The Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC) reflects some of the key elements of a Fast Stream role and will consist a leadership scenario, a team scenario and a written scenario. Information will be presented via an app that you will be able to access remotely.